Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tortilla Crisps, Guacamole, Spanish Rice, and Cheese Quesadilla



Just realized that I did not take a picture of the food, sorry.


The homemade part of this dinner was small and wasn't the major aspect of the dish, but it was by far the best. I made the tortilla chips from a recipe I got in my cooking bible, Better Homes and Gardens. I was looking the recipe for guacamole that Jen wanted and this was on the same page. We initially intended to make this a few days earlier when one of my friends from work was coming over and our power went out during a storm. She ended up picking up pizza and this was postponed until tonight's dinner. The chips tasted good and they were perfect for dipping because they were strong. Jen commented that they were better than the baked tortilla chips that they sell. I thought they were good, but I am trying to figure out the best way to add salt and make it stick on the chip. Jen made the guacamole and we, not Anna, all ate and liked it. The quesadilla's were cooked on a regular pan and the Spanish rice was microwaved. Nothing special. Enjoy.

Grade B +


Tortilla Crisps
1. Cut each of twelve 7 or 8 inch flour tortillas into 8 wedges. Spread on-third of the wedges in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven 5 to 10 minutes or until dry and crisp; cool. Repeat with remaining wedges. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 weeks.

Guacamole

Ingredients
2 rip avocados
1/2 small onion, cut up
1 clove garlic, minced
2/3 cup chopped tomato
Use a fork to mash up the avocado and mix in the additional ingredients.

Lucy before she started eating

Emily carefully scooping the guacamole

Sarah before the sour cream got all over her face.

You probably can tell from Anna's expression, but we almost banned her to the backyard during dinner.

1 comment:

  1. I saw a salt-sticking trick recently. I haven't tried it, but I imagine it'd work well. When you've spread the tortilla wedges all over the pan, spray them with a squiry of cooking spray, then sprinkle the salt on top. That way it has something to stick to and bake on.

    By the way, on our meal plan in a couple of weeks we're making a turkey meatloaf, and I am absolutely borrowing your meatloaf muffin idea. Hannah will LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete