Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie (30 minute)

   
     I bought myself a new cookbook with a gift card I got from my parents for Christmas. I was going to get a fancy cookbook, but when I looked through it I could not imagine anyone besides myself eating anything from it, so I decided on Better Homes and Gardens: 365 30-minute meals. Of course it is my goal to try all meals in 2013, but we all know that has about as much chance of happening as the congress unanimously voting on any bill!
     Emily was having a rough day, so I had her look through the cookbook with me and she got to pick out the dinner. After what felt like the 100th instant NO!, she finally picked out the chicken pot pie (I think she heard pie and she thought that was going to be great). And yes you read that correctly- a 30-minute chicken pot pie.
     For the amount of time, it tasted not too bad. I would rather take the time to make an actual pot pie than this shortcut version, but it could be worse. Lucy and Sarah liked it, but Emily and Anna had to have the threat in not having the "brownie-type" dessert to finish their small portion.

Grade: B-

Ingredients:
1/2 of a 15-oz package (1 crust) rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust
1 10.75 oz can condensed cream of onion soup
2 cups low fat milk
1 8-oz package reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup water
1 tsp dried sage, crushed
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 16-oz package frozen vegetables
1 cup instant white rice

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Let pie crust stand at room temperature for 15 minutes as directed on package. Unroll pie crust onto a large baking sheet. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut pie crust into strips 1/2 to 1 inch wide. Separate strips slightly. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.

2) Meanwhile, for filling, in a 4-qt Dutch oven combine soup, milk, cream cheese, the water, sage, and pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until cream cheese melts. Stir in chicken, vegetables, and rice. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender, stirring occasionally.

3)Transfer filling to a serving dish. Top with pastry strips.


Just like everything else Anna does, she is trying to talk her way out of doing something. 
Emily is not enjoying the dinner she picked out to make!

Not a good  picture, but Lucy did the best!
Sarah ate it better the second night!



No comments:

Post a Comment